Did you know around one in five of all women have a hysterectomy?
Many women in the worldwide have a hysterectomy every year. Reasons for needing a hysterectomy include the following:
- Heavy or very painful periods. In some women, day-to-day life is made difficult because of heavy periods. Sometimes the heavy bleeding can cause anaemia. There are various other treatment options for heavy periods, including tablets and an intrauterine system. If they don’t improve the problem, hysterectomy is an option for treatment.
- Fibroids. These are swellings of abnormal muscle that grow in the womb (uterus). Fibroids are common and often do not cause any symptoms. However, in some women they can cause heavy or painful periods. Some fibroids are quite large and can press on the bladder to cause urinary symptoms.
- Prolapse. This occurs when the uterus or parts of the vaginal wall drop down. This may happen after the menopause when the tissues which support the uterus tend to become thinner and weaker.
- Endometriosis. This is a condition where the cells which line the uterus are found outside the uterus in the pelvis. This can cause scarring around the uterus, and may cause the bladder or rectum to stick to the uterus or Fallopian tubes. Endometriosis may cause only mild symptoms, but some women develop painful periods, tummy (abdominal) pain or have pain during sex.
- Cancer. Hysterectomy may be advised if you develop cervical cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer or cancer of the Fallopian tubes.
For most of the conditions mentioned above (apart from cancer), hysterectomy is usually considered as a last resort after other treatments have failed.
Before a hysterectomy, make sure that any questions or worries you have are dealt with. For example, the following three questions are common and only you or your doctor will be able to answer them:
- Are there any other alternative treatments that have not been tried?
- Are my symptoms and problems severe enough to need a hysterectomy?
- Do I still want to have children? (If you are considering hysterectomy in young age.)
To know more, schedule an appointment with our *Celebrity Senior Consultant Gynecologist Dr Archana Shah* to learn about all of the appropriate options for your unique situation.
*Sannidhya Multi Speciality Hospitals* is the first and only Multi Specialty Hospital in South Bopal, Ahmedabad for any individual who is looking for a proper diagnosis and quality treatment for any gynecological disease.
*Book a consultation appointment on 915750 2000/3000.*